AKA: My Husbandless February
For those of you who didn’t know, Dave was traveling for work for basically the whole month of February.
Ok, maybe not the WHOLE month, but most of it – the 4th to the 22nd, so 18 days worth to be exact.
This was the longest we’ve been apart since we started dating.
Fun Fact: our history started today, 2 years ago.
The day he left, and the proceeding 4 days, were so ridiculous to me I started to keep a log. At first I was infuriated, overwhelmed, and falling apart; but then things became hilarious to me.
Here’s a general overview of my 18 days of being husbandless.
- Because I’m a girl and my body has impeccable timing, I had hormones raging through me (and everything that accompanies that) the day Dave left. Super fun, right?
- I almost put frozen meatballs in my shake instead of frozen strawberries.
- My car wouldn’t start so I had to take the truck beast for 2 days. To New Haven. And use a parking garage. Pretty terrifying.
- We got snow. Lots of flippin snow. The first storm was wet and heavy and I could barely clear out what I needed to get the truck out. The second storm wasn’t as bad, but still caused me to have to shovel what I could. Note: never did I ever clear the whole driveway by myself.
- Our router decided to shut itself off for no apparent reason.
- One of the lights in the bathroom couldn’t decide if it was blown or not.
- One of the cats was up on the table (where it’s not allowed – and knows it!) and THREW UP on Dave’s calculator.
BUT things eventually started to turn around and wound up being pretty good.
- Michael and his friend Dean came over and cleared the driveway using the snow blower for me.
- Reed came over and got my car started.
- I got to work from home on a few snowy days, one of which wound up being a total blessing in disguise.
- This non-reader finished 4 books. Yes, 4!
- Sounds Like Me by Sara Bareilles
- Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling
- Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham
- City of Echoes by Robert Ellis
- I watched 3.5 seasons of Everybody Love Raymond, effectively finishing out the series.
- I watched 1.5 seasons of Will & Grace. This would’ve been more but our Blu-Ray player in the living room won’t open to read discs anymore, so it’s basically just a giant Netflix player at this point.
- I got to have dinner with some of my favorite former coworkers. We pretty much closed out Olive Garden.
- I took a day trip to Jersey and visited my Gram with the cousister. We took her to IHOP, played cards, and pretty much made her day.
- I got to have lunch with Christine, who I haven’t hung out with since before I got married.
- I had Caitlin over for a workout and dinner.
- I went to dinner with Danielle and we shared stories of how we cope when our husbands travel.
- I spent an afternoon with my mom.
- I cleaned – literally – everything in the house.
- I got to FaceTime with Dave a handful of times. This was always the highlight of my day when it happened.
- I worked out almost every day.
- I got flowers from Dave through Reed on Valentine’s Day.
So really, what started out as horrendous, ended up being a not-so-bad time. Of course I missed my husband terribly, and we both worked from home his first day back, but I survived.
Here’s to hoping we don’t have to do this again for a while!