- Julia’s art teacher complimented her and said her drawings are really accurate and she should keep working at it.
- Leila went to Lake Compounce with her friends on Friday. She also had her last band concert ever.
- Max and his family are having a party after church today. Also, he was cleaning his room and found his Sax (lol) and played it for a while.
- Nico’s birthday is next Friday. He’ll be 18!
- Tiffany ALSO went to Lake Compounce and had a great time on the bus with an inch worm.
- Ben got new Gucci shoes for $80.
- Christos went mini golfing yesterday and got 2nd place next to a guy who actually golfs.
- Grace entered a contest for Medieval Times and won! And she went to DQ with Breanne last Sunday.
- Katrina had her last dance recital last night. It was sad but fun. And she received scholarships for school.
- Julie repierced her triages by herself. Ouch.
- Adam played mini golf for free thanks to Christos.
- Reed’s school is ending soon.
- Breanne had a nice family party.
- Wendy went to the batting cages and she was better than her friend Matt.
- I got my dress!
For anyone who is close to Dave or I, you know the last month and a half has been a little stressful.
OK, that’s an understatement.
I knew there would be parts of marriage that would be an uphill climb, but I didn’t think we’d have such a fight just to even get there! At least we’re both in agreement, so there’s that. Here’s a quick rundown of the hurdles we’ve had to jump over.
- Every date we chose didn’t work for some reason. Be it conferences at our church (we can’t exactly take church leadership away for a night when they’re supposed to be hosting something), birthday parties, graduation parties, other weddings, very expensive plane tickets (we have bridal party coming from as far as Florida and Hawaii), Marios (our minister) being out of the country. The list goes on. There were times we thought we could move forward with a date and put it out there to everyone only to have it explode in our faces.
- We almost settled for a date and location – but it was just that, settling. And we knew we wouldn’t be happy.
- We almost had a great location – but the place wasn’t available the ONLY day this year we can get married. That’s not an exaggeration, we literally have one day left if we want to get married in 2015. We have exhausted every other option.
- The first time I went to try on dresses I thought the place started at $99. Nope. False advertising. They started at $1200. WHAT?! Thank God I didn’t fall in love with any of them.
Granted, that doesn’t seem like much when it’s written out, but holy crap. The amount of screaming, tears, and almost throwing up from it all was ridiculous. We weren’t trying to cater to EVERYONE, but Marios, immediate family and bridal party (you know, the essentials) all needed to make it work. Nothing but dead ends around every corner. I was totally defeated and ready to give up and just let someone else tell me where and when to get married.
That brings us to last night…
I had an appointment at David’s Bridal at 6pm so I picked my mom up after work and we headed up to meet My Julie and Christine there. They were smart, they looked up the address; I went by memory and was totally off. By my calculations we were going to be 10 minutes early and my mom would be able to look at some dresses for herself before the appointment. Wrong.
We get to where I thought it was and there was no D’s B. Great. I look up the address in my email and see I’m in the wrong town. Ugh. I pull up the email and click the link for the address and see we’re 20 minutes away. Ok, no big deal, we’ll be 10 minutes late instead of 10 minutes early. This is ok.
No, that was wrong.
We start driving and I said to myself “nice try devil, you’re gonna have to try harder than that to kill this night” which I shouldn’t have. Because when I got there…again…I wasn’t there.
“You have arrived…” um no, I’m at someone’s house, Siri!
This time I type in the WHOLE address and and we’re 40 minutes out. 40!
I called David’s and they were so nice. They told me I was the last appointment, that they closed at 9pm and once I got there I’d basically have the place to myself. To not worry about it. Sweet!
So we FINALLY arrive at almost 7pm (after driving the complete ass-backwards way of getting there, mind you) and My Julie and Christine are waiting for us. They wound up having an impromptu date at Sonic, so the time wasn’t all lost for them.
They’re ready for me, but ut oh, they can’t access the dresses I favorited on their site. And neither can I. Ugh. So the 3 of us (my mom was looking for her dress) were set loose on the racks to pick out some dresses.
Because that’s not overwhelming.
I tried on a total of 4 dresses but knew after the 2nd I was sold. When you don’t want to take the dress off, you know it’s the dress. And a little fun fact: the dress wasn’t even on my “favorites” list! Who knows if I would’ve found it if I went with what I had.
And when I finally DID take it off, Many the Miles by Sara Bareilles was playing. Perfect!
Red letter day and I’m in a blue mood
Wishing that blue would just carry me away
I’ve been talking to God don’t know
If it’s helping or not
But surely something has got to got to got to give
Cause I can’t keep waiting to live
How far do I have to go to get to you
Many the miles
Send me the miles and I’ll be happy to
Here’s where the crazy favor comes in.
This dress was usually $1000. It was on clearance for $750. If they ordered it, it would come in THE LATEST by August 31st…which would leave me 11 days for alterations. Uh…no. No thank you. If I bought it right then and there, I would pay $650.
Now, while I was taking the dress off I noticed a snag in it. I’m convinced the Lord highlighted it for me because there’s no way you could see it if you weren’t looking for it and knew exactly where to look. SO, they gave me an additional 20% off! The total for my dress came out to $560!
THEN my mom found the dress she wanted. It was usually $200-something but was on sale for $150. She brought it to the register and it rang up at $50! But I’m not done! Because I bought MY dress there, she got an additional discount and wound up only paying $31!!!
You guys! We walked out of David’s Bridal with a wedding dress and a Mother of the Bride dress for a total of less than $600!
And the girl who helped me? Her name was Grace. Boy did I need it, and boy did she deliver.
– Julia got new shoes and tomorrow she’s getting some of her pictures printed tomorrow.
– Wendy’s brother is getting married and she’s going to be a bridesmaid and she got 3 home runs: a single, a double and a grand slam! The final score was 34-10. Crazy! She gets to go on a boat tomorrow for Project O.
…I should’ve gotten a cake.
- Max went to see Avengers with his parents and he had a great time with his friends. He’s also getting sushi after church today.
- Julia went hiking and the view from the top was beautiful!
- Leila’s class is doing a whole week of field trips at the end of the year, some of her teachers are pitching in money for it too because they deserve it.
- Grace says it’s a beautiful day and it has been for a while. (Truth. It was bright today, as you can see above)
- Ben starts drivers ed soon and he gets his license at the end of it.
- Breanne had a great week.
- There were ducks on the church yesterday! I love ducks! They’ve always been a symbol of God’s love for me.
Julia – got a new shirt, went on a field trip hike to bluff point
Grace – went on a prayer walk. Three people gave their lives to the Lord
Carbones – mom came to church, dad off breathing tube!
Katrina – had the day off Friday and went to a park with her sis
Leila – saw friends she didn’t get to see in a while, won a race against them 😂
Nico – got his first paycheck
Maximillion – got to go to his old elementary school to read to students
2. Only a month and a half of school
3. Canada Dry cured his stomach ache today at youth group
Ben – needed more hours at work and got a bunch more
Christos – On his break at work Christos bought a rotisserie chicken and ate it with his hands with his very chill manager
Reed – started two songs today and didn’t blow it
Tim – went to see one of his favorite bands on Sunday and met the drummer after and he guest listed him to their show on Wednesday
Jess – Bethany, Elizabeth and Zelda are visiting from Florida and came to church today. They were running late but got there JUST in time for me to give them hugs like a mad woman before I led worship. I would’ve been totally distracted if they came in after I started.