- Nico’s midterms are over! And he’s going to be taking music composition because he finished sound recording.
- Max just over all had a good week and started play practice.
- Christos biked to church this morning and didn’t die.
- Julia cleaned her room and got money to go to 5 Below and get a microscope for her phone.
- Ben starts working at Subway this week.
- Breanne got to spend family time with her Nana and cousin.
- Julie got a uke!
- Tiffany got to stay at Leila’s since Friday.
- Leila got to hang out with Emma 3 times this week and me on Wednesday.
- Andrew drove for the first time – apparently he’s a baller G.
- Reed broke a string on his guitar before serivce today, but Jesse brought his as a backup so he could still play!
- I was GOING to say that my SLS was that we haven’t had a bad winter this year and the Nor’Easter we had this weekend only dumped an inch of snow. BUT I woke up this morning and we’re supposed to get get DUMPED on with like 1-2 feet. Sooo I guess I’m just excited that we didn’t get a lot last week.
- Leila took a field trip to see Selma with her school. She learned a lot AND had fun.
- Andrew’s dad is paying for half of whatever car he buys.
- Max’s midterms ended! He thinks he did well. He went for a walk and had 2 hours of bonding time with Steven, his sister’s friend’s boyfriend.
- Ben got high honors.
- Someone filled in for Julie on Thursday so she could take her brother to the airport. He left for the same school in Cyprus that Gabriel went to.
- Wendy is playing East Lyme today in basketball – they’re rivals.
- Julia learned how to made candy yesterday.
- Breanne went to get cannoli with Vinny before he left. Yesterday she got super lost and didn’t know how to get home. Whenever she would question which way to turn, God would tell her where to go and she got home!
- Tiffany and Leila got froyo and tried on ugly dresses at the mall. She was also blessed with a dress that Leila bought her – not an ugly one 🙂
- Christos was allowed out of Cyprus and moved back here! Yay!
- Brittany passed Civics midterm.
- Taylor got high honors for the first time.
- Grace got to babysit her niece, who thought she was her mom.
- “Christos came back!” – Reed
- I got to shoot the Walther PPK yesterday and got to spend the whole day with Dave, Reed, Michael, Scott and Christos. On Friday I had to go to NYC for work but the shoot wasn’t until 2pm so I got to sleep in.
- Grace’s sister is having a birthday party
- Julia went shopping for clothes and went to a roller rink.
- Andrew raised all the money he needs to go to drivers ed
- Breanne is spending time with Vinny before he leaves for Cyprus
- Julie left work and saw the whole family came to pick her up. She was all confused, they brought clothes and food for her and took her to see Taken 3. it was a surprise
- Leila went to the mall with Nicole and Tiffany. There was a guy being really rude to the pretzel lady, they were nice and made her day.
- Ben passed electrical midterm
- Max was called down to the band room to go to Regionals, which he totally forgot about. But he made friends and had a lot of fun.
- Gabriel is feeling very encouraged today
- It was my birthday on Thursday. i worked a long day but got to take friday off and went to get a massage.
Also, today is Gabriel’s last Sunday with us 😦 He’s going to a school in Cyprus for 6 months. We’re gonna miss him but we’re SO excited to see what The Lord does in and through him. It’s gonna be glorious.
It’s always happening.
Sometimes you’re affected and sometimes you’re not, but it’s always there.
I’ve had a lot of change over the past few months. Most recently, I had to say goodbye to one of my favorites…a month after saying goodbye to her husband. This proved to be harder than I expected, when I least expected it. You see, I said
goodbye see-you-later to Bethany on Sunday. I was good. There were no tears. We laughed, we hugged. To the outsider it looked like a normal Sunday. Even Monday morning I woke up and I was fine. I knew she was on the road driving to her sister’s in Florida. I went to work – total normal morning.
Then I got in my car to run some errands on my lunch break. And that’s when my heart decided to catch up with everything else.
I composed myself enough to walk into Target and get what I needed, but the second I got back into my safe zone I was undone again.
When I first met Bethany I had no idea that any of this would be happening. I was actually nervous she wouldn’t like me. I knew her then-boyfriend, now-husband, Patrick first and was used to girlfriends hating me, so that’s what I braced for.
We started to get to know each other and everything seemed to be going well but in the back of my mind I was like “she’s just being nice to me because she feels like she has to. We’re not REAL friends.” Looking back, this was probably because I was crawling my way out of a pit of despair and hurt and was under the impression that complete happiness wasn’t a thing.
And then something happened…she and Patrick got engaged! I was so excited for them, as was everyone. When I thought about their wedding I figured I’d be invited – maybe – but I wasn’t even confident in that. It had been about 3 years but because of the
walls fortress I had built around myself from that pit, I didn’t think I was actually part of this little community.
Well, I was wrong!
That’s Bethany, in the middle. And that’s me, last on the right (looking like I’m trying to choke out the flowers). You guys, this girl that I thought was just putting up with me (thanks to my insecurities) not only liked me, but actually loved me enough to ask me to stand beside her while she got married! I was blown away!
After that I made the decision that I was going to try and knock down my fortress and really let people in. I’m not gonna lie, it was terrifying. But I told Bethany and De (second on the left) that this was my plan and warned them that they may need to fight through some of the walls with me, but that I really did want to change and open up and learn how to actually love people and let them in, not just keep them at an arms length. I still have her response, and it still makes me cry. She ended it with “I really love you, Jess” and for the first time in a long time, I really believed it.
Since then I’ve made incredible strides with the whole fortress fiasco. It’s still a work in progress but, thanks to Bethany and De I had a safe place to figure out this new way of life. I can honestly say I don’t know who I’d be without either of them.
So yes, her location is different now, and there’s a really good chance we’ll never even live in the same state again, let alone close enough to have a spontaneous tea date, and yes I’m sad about that, but that’s ok. Because I know that no matter where we are or what life throws at us, that loving, deep, REAL friendship will always be there.
I was never a feeler, never super emotional (unless my feelings were hurt), but over the past few years that’s what I’ve become. So last night after work, I did the only logical thing. I cried a bit, had dinner with Dave, grabbed a drink and a blanket and sat on the couch with him to watch episodes of FRIENDS until my sides hurt.
It’s scary to let people in past your walls, it opens you up to more hurt; but if you choose the right people the rewards are immeasurable.
- TODAY IS WENDY’S BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! Legit teenager here, folks!
- Wendy got a surprise trip to FLIGHT
- Julie had a great first day at her job
- Julia had another Christmas and got markers and a sketchpad
- Max finally got over the crush he’s had since 3rd grade
- Breanne hung out with friends on NYE
- Tiffany got to watch Leila go crazy in the car – apparently she was dancing and hit head really hard.
- Leila went to Boston for NYE with her bestie and then she went to flight and the mall – all for free!
- Grace had a NYE party and they had a ton of food
- Brittany threw the shot-put 13.9 feet – which was better than last time she threw it for track
- Ben and Brittany have been together for 2 years and 5 months this coming Tuesday
- Nico is getting an iPad mini 2
- Andrew opened a bank account so he can save up for his car and drivers ed
- Gabriel got to see Jaya!
- Reed joined the worship team!
- Julia got to go to a cool places in Maine: Ben & Jerry’s, an outlet mall, LLBean and she got two rocks from a souvenier shop
- I got extra days off of work thanks to my amazing management and had legit time off. No one bothered me, I didn’t have to work, I didn’t even have to look at my email. It was delightful.
- And leila made us cake!