- Julie spent lots of time with family.
- Julia went Black Friday shopping in Maine. It also snowed in MA so she got to go sledding.
- Julia and Leila had Thanksgiving dinner at Angela’s brother’s house with 5 courses – sherbet, soup, pasta and salad, turkey dinner and dessert.
- Grace got new boots and a dress from her grandma.
- Breanne went to see Mockingjay with her friends friends and Julie and Jimmy. Her gram and grandpa made 5 pies just for her, because she loves pie. But she didn’t eat nearly as much as they had hoped. She also had a super easy day at work because the snow made everyone stay home so she got paid to talk on the phone. Pretty sweet!
- Ben got to spend the day on Friday with Brittany.
- Leila learned how to make pizzelles with her soon-to-be step mom and they were delicious (we know, because she brought a bunch in).
- Brittany got to hang out with friend who lives in VT.
- Gabriel got to spend time with Patrick and Bethany before Patrick left for the Navy.
- As for me? Well, it’s been one heck of a weekend. Lots of chapters closing and new ones opening. It’s exciting and sad all at the same time. One of the things I had to do this weekend was move some of the furniture out of my grandmother’s house because it’s sold. Don’t get me wrong, I’m beyond pumped to have her dining room set and living room tables, it’s beautiful furniture, but leaving that area of Jersey was hard. I was done with the weekend around 10am on Saturday and the work hadn’t even begun. All I wanted to do was curl up and watch a christmas movie – How The Grinch Stole Christmas to be exact. Not the new crappy one, the old classic. Well, God heard my prayer because while I was driving home listening to Christmas music on Pandora the ENTIRE Grinch story came on! Songs and everything! Ugh, perfect.
- Also, I just came home to a check for $40 I didn’t even know about! So there’s that.
- Leila saw Mockingjay with friends and it actually followed the book. That never happens. She got got honors too.
- Julia’s birthday was yesterday! She got Chinese food (her favorite) and bike! And cupcakes from The Cake Lady. There were oreo, carrot cake, pumpkin with cool decorations
- Max had an audition for Eastern Region Music Festival yesterday. Stay tuned to see how that went! He also will be in AZ next week. AND went to see Mockingjay with his parents. His step siblings, Cassandra and Ricky, went with their mom and her fiancé. They wound up all being together.
- Andrew’s friend Alan gave him a key for World Of Warcraft for free so he can play for free! He also got honor roll.
- Ben got an A on his Civics project on Tomas Jefferson and also high honors.
- Breanne’s piano lessons have been going well. Her teacher is awesome.
- Julie visited WNEC with brother and parents and got free food.
- Dylon got 3 inches of snow.
- Emma slept over Leila’s house and baked cookies for us! She also got honors.
- I got blessed with 2 dresses from Singapore. They’re BEAUTIFUL and I can’t wait to wear them!
I know I’ve said this before, but these kids are the best!
I’m working on being OK with winter. I really am. It’s difficult though, because I REALLY don’t like being cold.
I’ve lived in Connecticut my whole life, and Dave grew up in San Diego (which I believe means “perfect weather”), so obviously we have different views on the season that is upon us.
Dave: It is so funny to me to see the difference between someone who grew up in CT and someone who didn’t.
Jess: What do you mean?
Dave: Well, when the weather starts to get cold, people who AREN’T from here bundle up. They have the warm coats, and hats, and gloves. But people who grew up around here don’t.
Jess: It’s true. And it’s not because we’re not cold, because we are.
Dave: It’s like you’re in denial or something.
Jess: That’s EXACTLY what it is!
Dave: You’re crazy!
Now, I don’t know if he was talking about me specifically or us Nutmeggers as a whole, but regardless, it’s pretty accurate. But here’s the thing: I just don’t like wearing big bulky coats. I mean, who wants to walk around feeling like the kid from A Christmas Story?
Seriously. People. We need mobility!
The other reason I don’t want to get a big winter coat is that I don’t want to pay for one! To some people this may seem silly, but why am I going to spend over $100 on a coat that I’ll only wear for a few months? It’s not worth it to me.
It should be worth it to me.
But it’s not.
Dave’s comment did get me thinking though. If I dressed properly, maybe I wouldn’t be so miserable during the cold months. If I actually found a coat that I liked and was warm, maybe I’d be more ok with the fact that I can see my breath.
Now, I say all that to say this:
As much as I love Dave, I’m not afraid to say that I think he’s the crazy one right now. Why? Because he, 2 of his friends, his boys, and 2 of their friends are camping tonight.
On the ground.
In 30-something degree weather.
And as I type this I hear the wind going CRAZY outside.
No. Thank you. I am not ashamed to say that I pulled out the “Girl Card” for this one.
I’m sure they’re having a blast. I mean, c’mon, it’s 8 guys in the middle of the woods. They’re building fires, repelling, smoking cigars (not the kids, obviously) and eating beans (haha, pretty sure that’s how they’re gonna keep their tents warm at night). And I’m sure once they warm up tomorrow they’ll have plenty of smiles and stories to share. And I’ll gladly listen…while curled up under a warm blanket and sipping on tea.
But as for me, tonight, I’ll be snug as a bug with my down comforter, heated blanket, cuddly cats, and about 50 million pillows in a room that DOESN’T stink.
I may not be built for this weather, but I am determined to tolerate it better this year. We’ll see how that goes.
- Breanne helped out for her school play (Damn Yankees).
- She also babysat cute kids and didn’t get in trouble for falling asleep! Don’t worry, the kids were asleep and it was almost midnight by the time the parents got home. We’ve all been there.
- Breanne’s iPod stopped working and nothing was helping so she prayed for it with her mom and it worked!
- Nico fixed his computer without having to go through the long tedious process of checking each wire and bit of hardware.
- Max had a dream – His sister Cassandra had a dream a few years ago that a girl drowned Him. In that dream Max felt safe. Earlier this week Max had the same dream, and still felt safe, but he didn’t drown this time! He believes (and we agree) that it means that the issues from the past won’t hinder him now. We love breakthrough!
- Max is also leaving for AZ on the 26th until December 1st to visit some family and see the Grand Canyon.
- Julia was running out of room on her phone and she couldn’t update it. A problem we all face every time a new update comes out. She deleted a bunch of apps and pictures but there still wasn’t enough room. Then her future step mom showed her that she could delete her text messages and that gave her enough room to update.
- She also went hiking, and her birthday is in 6 days.
- Once Upon a Time has a special 2hr episode tonight.
- Julie started indoor track and for practice they played Hide & Seek throughout the whole school – awesome.
- Ben went to Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon AND he got new pants.
- Grace got her first paycheck! She’s working tomorrow too.
- She also got to help the little kids for Sunday School and got to keep the donuts and candy corn!
- Grace is also going to KC’s for lunch.
- Gabriel had to go to work on Saturday and leave Friendsgiving early. Total bummer. But he was on his way there and his boss called and told him to go back to the party and that he would cover his shift!
- Dave and I hosted Friendsgiving this year, and I have to say, I have the best friends ever. They’re seriously all the best. I felt so blessed all day.
- I also got to snuggle with baby Zelda because Zack and Elizabeth came up to visit!
- And, in the spirit of Ben’s SLS, I got a new sweater!
- AND I made $4 today by selling snack to them haha. Don’t worry, I plan on spending that money on them. I’ll get them candy or something. I just thought it was hilarious that they were willing to pay money for more pieces of pie.
Woo! These kids are amazing.
There have been a lot of topics running through my head lately, and I’m confident that it’s partly because I should be blogging about them and not just going “Great thought, Jess! Now, what were we doing? Oh right, watching another episode of Bones on Netflix.”
That said, here’s what we’ve got goin on inside this brain of mine.
Wow, that statement made me sound like a crazy person
I’ll try and make them as concise as possible…and then learn my lesson and blog when I’m supposed to.
Seems like a pretty normal word, right? We restore homes and furniture and cars. If you go to church and have ever been prayed over you may have heard something like “The Lord is going to restore you”. But what we often don’t realize (especially when it comes to the church stuff) is that “restoration” doesn’t always mean “going back to the way it used to be”.
I know a lot of times I’ve heard that while being prayed for and I’ve thought “great! everything will be back to normal!” and truth be told: that’s not the case at all. But it is better. I touched on this a while ago, but it’s always a nice reminder.
2. Who the heck are you?
This came up in youth group a few weeks ago when Breanne reminded us all that we are who God says we are, not who the world thinks we are. Or who WE think we are for that matter. We may think we’re insignificant but guess what, God is all about the insignificant people.
And once you know who you are, you’re pretty much unstoppable.
3. I WILL like this…I will.
Every year I complain around this time about how it’s getting too cold. Then the snow comes. I probably shed a tear or 6. And continue my complaining until about March or April when it starts getting warm again.
This time I’m determined to not only smile but to enjoy myself and the season. I’m going to focus on the beauty and not the fact that I can’t feel my face. Well, I’m going to try anyways. It’s a work in progress.
I guess I don’t really have a 4th. I just like when things are even. So I’ll just say that friends and family are life, and I try to not blog about them because I don’t want anyone to think I’m playing favorites. Even though I fully admit to having favorites.
I try to not blog about my relationship with Dave either, because while I do want to shout his amazingness from the rooftops, I recognize that I don’t have to. But I will say this, out of all my favorites, he’s my favoritest 🙂
– Max’s music teacher played them a cool instrumental song. The guy wrote it during a controversial time where people were debating wether music should be written to tell stories or just for music. This was for stories.
– Grace has a job cleaning for $15/hr.
– Julie was waiting for her mom outside after school. It was cold, but then the clouds parted and the sun came out and warmed up for her.
– Nico got new program called Frooty Loops Studio and he started making music.
– Ben passed the CPR test.
– Breanne had a rough week but God reminded her of who she really is through prophesies that have been spoken over her. *We are who HE says we are, not what the world thinks of us.*
– Brittany passed all her classes.
– Wendy has her final fall ball game today. We hope she wins!
– Gabriel got a free bag of coffee today.
– My boyfriend Dave was going to have to travel for work for 10-12 days starting this Friday, but he doesn’t anymore!
I really like what God is doing with this group. They’re amazing and we had some good conversation today. They’re getting more comfortable with each other, and with me and Gabriel, which means we can start having some really good question and discussion time.
Watch out world, you have no idea what’s coming at you!